Thursday, March 24, 2011

Hanover Gems

It is clear to me when reading this paper what the author's main focus is on. By conducting interviews that we will have to do for essay 3, we will be able to learn a lot about the history of the site we chose and the background of the people that represent the site. This will help us understand the bigger picture and make connections. The author begins by giving some history about bowling, of which I found to be very fascinating and did not know before. For this part of the essay, research had to be done on bowling itself. The essay then moves onto the interview portion, which is written excellently in a narrative form. It is very easy to follow and very descriptive. The whole time I can picture it in my head like a scene from a movie. The narrative aspect really shines in this authors writing. We gain a lot of information about what the people who go to the bowling alley are like, as the interview gives off such information. The author seemed to succeed in the interview portion, seemingly getting great material from the people she talked to and a lot about their background and personality. The main purpose of this essay is to get an overall picture of your site, and to make connections. The author has a very clear point in her essay - "The people involved with this alley have a family connection with bowling and a history of their own with it that they are sharing with others. Hank and Carol are both passing on their bowling to their children."

2 comments:

  1. Derek,
    I completely agree with everything you said in this blog post. I also believe that since reading this essay I get a true feel of what we are supposed to do for this interview section of our ethnography paper. I think it is really interesting how so many people can be part of a bowling league for that many years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derek,

    After reading your blog post, I now have a better understanding of the direction I'm going to go in my next essay. One point in particular that you made was you could almost picture a scene from a movie. When I begin my next paper, I want the reader to have a similar reaction when I begin to describe my site and its surroundings.

    ReplyDelete