Thursday, March 31, 2011

Conducting Interviews

From the readings for homework this week, I learned a lot about how to conduct an interview. I personally haven't needed to conduct an interview before, so I am not sure quite what to expect, what to ask, or how to go about it. In general, I am nervous about conducting the interviews but reading the textbook material helped clear up some of my questions. Something I learned more about the 2 different types of interview questions -- closed and open questions. I already knew what they meant, because the definitions are basically common sense, but I learned a lot of tips for conducting the interview surrounding that. I learned not to ask too many of each question and to do some research ahead of time. The second half of the reading talked about the importance of listening, which I just learned about in my communications class. Engaged listening is really important because it shows the person you are talking to you are actually listening, and so you can comprehend what they are saying. For interview purposes, if you don't listen, you will miss important information that is being said. For me, I would say I am a pretty good listener so I will have no problems there. Reading this material overall helped give information and tips on how to conduct an interview, especially if you never have given one before.

No comments:

Post a Comment